Online Casino Roulette
Roulette is a popular and exciting casino game played with a spinning wheel. Gambling games based on a spinning wheel can be traced as far back as the Greco-Roman period and although the game we know today as roulette has evolved significantly since then, the same basic gambling concepts apply. A roulette game consists of a roulette wheel with numbered slots, a little white ball that is released into the spinning wheel and a roulette table that depicts the different bets that can be placed. The aim of the game is to correctly guess the number or group of numbers that the ball will land on when the spinning wheel comes to rest.
There are many advantages to playing roulette online. Playing online roulette gives you access to many of the different variations of the game and allows you to play them from anywhere in the world. Another advantage to playing roulette online is the ability to play at any time of the day or night, from the comfort of your own home. As an Australian player you will enjoy the advantage of the 24/7 gaming and support that is available at Casino.com Australia. Playing online roulette also gives you access to live roulette games which allow you to combine the comfort and convenience of online play with the thrill of live dealer games, through the use of webcam technology that shows the croupier in action in real time.
The Odds of the Game
Online roulette is a game of chance; however understanding the various odds related to the game can help you make an informed decision about how best to play. A game of European roulette has 37 numbered slots – the numbers 1 through 36 plus a single zero. This results in odds of winning of 1/37 and an overall house edge of 2.7%. American roulette, on the other hand has 38 numbered slots – the numbers 1 through 36, plus a single zero and a double zero. This results in odds of winning of 1/38 and an overall house edge of 5.26%. These odds can be affected simply by the choices you make in the game. If you place the five-numbered bet in American roulette, the odds go up to 7.89%. On the other hand, if you play la partage or the en prison rule in European roulette, the odds can go down as low as 1.35%.
In addition, it is worthwhile to understand the odds of the different bets that you place compared to their payouts. There are ten standard bets:
- Straight bet – a bet on a single number – odds of 36:1 – pays out 35:1
- Split bet – a bet on two adjacent numbers – odds of 17.5:1 – pays out 17:1
- Street bet – a bet on a row of three numbers – odds of 11.33:1 – pays out 11:1
- Corner bet – a bet on the four numbers in the corner of the table – odds of 8.25:1 – pays out 8:1
- Double street bet – a bet on two adjacent rows or 6 numbers – odds of 6:1 – pays out 5:1
- Column bet – a bet on a column of 12 numbers – odds of 2.08:1 – pays out 2:1
- Dozen bet – a bet on a set of 12 numbers (1-12; 13-24; 25-36) – pays out 2.08:1 – odds of 2:1
- Even money bets – these bets include red or black bets, odd or even bet and high or low bets – odds of 1.01:1 – pays out 1:1
How to Play Roulette
To begin a game of online roulette, players must place their bets. There are ten bets in a standard game of European roulette and these can be divided into inside bets and outside bets.
European and French Roulette offer the same odds of winning, but French roulette benefits from the extra ‘la Partage’ rule. Mini roulette offers less betting options and so there are less numbers to bet on, so this offers the highest odds of winning compared to other online roulette games. However, you need to also take into account the quicker game and reduced options – does this suit you and your playing style?
Inside bets are bets placed on the inside section of the roulette table and they include:
- Straight bets – A bet on a single number. The bet is placed directly on the number on the table.
- Split bets – A bet on two numbers that are adjacent on the roulette table. The bet is placed on the line between the numbers.
- Street bets – Also known as a row bet, it is a bet on a row of three numbers. The bet is placed at the end of the row.
- Double street bets – Also known as a six line bet, it is a bet on the six numbers of two adjacent rows. The bet is placed on the line between the rows.
- Corner bets – A bet on the four numbers in the corner of the roulette table. The bet is placed in the centre of the numbers.
Outside bets are the bets that are placed on the outer section of the roulette table.