Best way to Play Roulette at casino
Learning how to play the fascinating and popular casino game of roulette can be as exhilarating as it is intimidating. With experience comes some improvement in your winning chances. That's why it's really important to make sure to have a better understanding of this game along with all the betting rules long before you commit your money to the table.
It has been said that with experience will come confidence. It is this characteristic that can enable you to play carefully and wisely while enjoying the game so much more thoroughly. This article sets out arguably what has to be the best way to play roulette combined with the game's basic rules, traits and betting strategies to create an experience that is enjoyable and fulfilling to the player.
When a new player is faced with a busy roulette table with its confusing array of squared off numbered zones and betting areas, a croupier busily moving chips of varying denominations around and taking everyone's bets, not to mention the rather intimidating numbered wheel itself, it is not uncommon to be somewhat overwhelmed by it all. Therefore, the first unspoken rule of the game is to simply stand back a while and watch others play to see what they are doing before taking the plunge yourself.
It is by watching how other players interact with a busy table that you will gain an insight into where the majority of the bets are placed. You'll also start to see how the croupier works his magic with so many chips being placed in what at first would appear to be a haphazard and chaotic mess!
Things to watch for are:
- The different types of wheel (European and American versions) on different tables
- Where most of the chips are placed on the table and their values
- Which placements are paid out after the ball comes to rest on the wheel
There are many different ways to win other than choosing the exact number the ball lands on, as you will see.
The majority of rules are the same for the main two versions (European and American) of the game. They mostly centre around betting and the different kinds of bet that can be made, since there is no player skill involved in this game of chance.
In brick and mortar casinos (and live games online), the croupier's job is to take bets and pay out winnings. Before the wheel is spun, he will call "No more bets" signalling that no more chips can be placed. In the online version, the issue doesn't exist as you must have placed your bet before the game will start.
Below is an explanation of the different kinds of bet that you can make at the roulette table, whether at a brink and mortar or online casino.
There are two main groups of bets available at the roulette table. These are classes as "outside bets" and "inside bets". Outside bets refer to the boxes outside the main group of numbered squares and are meant for betting on larger groups of numbers. Inside bets refer to placing chips within the main box of numbered squares on individual numbers 1 through 36 plus 0 and 00; or smaller groups of two, three, four or six numbers with different odds corresponding to each bet.
The simplest kind of bets are the ones with 1:1 odds that will pay out even money, meaning if you bet a pound you will win a pound if the ball lands on the corresponding number group. However, with evens bets, if the ball lands on the green "0" (or "00" on a US wheel) you lose.
There are three varieties of "inside" evens bet:
- Red/Black: When you place your chips in the red box, if the ball lands on a red number you win. Likewise if you place your chips in the black box and the balls lands on a black number you will win
- Odds/Evens: Place your chips in the "evens" box to win if the ball lands on an even number, or in the "odds" box to win if the ball lands on an odd number
- High/Low: Place your chips in the "high" box to win if the ball lands on any number between 1 to 18 inclusive, or in the "low" box to win of the ball lands on any number between 19 to 36 inclusive
A slightly better payout can be obtained from going for a one of the 2:1 odds bets, where you bet a pound to win £2. If the ball lands on a number in the group corresponding to the box you have your chips placed, you win.
There are two varieties of this kind of "outside" bet:
- Dozen bet: Place your chips in one of the three boxes that you'll find at the sides of the three long rows of numbers labelled "1st 12"; "2nd 12"; "3rd 12" to cover the numbers 1-12 inclusive, 13-24 inclusive and 25-36 inclusive
- Column Bet: Place your chips in one of the three boxes that you'll find at the ends of the three long rows of numbers labelled "Columns: '1st' '2nd' '3rd'." These cover the groups of 12 numbers in each "column"
If you're looking for better odds, you'll need to place your chips on one of the "inside bets" which we'll look at here.